Scroll through this virtual tour of the Wrightsboro Historic District and the Rock House.
In 1767 royal governor James Wright granted to Quakers from Pennsylvania and North Carolina 12,000 acres of land along the present northern boundaries of McDuffie County. Three years later, the town of Wrightsborough was formally established and named in honor of the governor. Wright intended the settlement to be a buffer zone between the Creek and Cherokee Indians and the growing settlement of St. Paul Parish (present-day Augusta). It suffered accordingly. Indian hostilities, the American Revolution (1775-83), and the expansion of slavery all threatened the physical and economic safety of the neutral Quaker township. By 1800 most of its original families had relocated to the Midwest. Wrightsborough existed as a settlement into the twentieth century, if in name only, as its remaining inhabitants gradually assimilated into the religious, social, and civic norms of the predominantly Scots-Irish region.